Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Renewing My Fitness Commitment

I feel like I've fallen off the grid for awhile.  I've been struggling with my motivation to workout as I see the numbers increase on the scale.  I'm finally back on track though with the scale, my eating habits, and my fitness routine.  It's like I never left it - but now it's better!

I've been swimming lots.  Several times a week for at least 20 minutes and sometimes 40 minutes straight.  I've got a good routine down now for my laps and I've started focusing on improving my strokes and increasing my propulsion with leg drills so I can swim more laps in less time.  I checked out the stroke improvement class today (or rather spyed on) to see if it was dumbed down enough for my level.  They used snorkles so I have something new to try next time I'm in the pool and I'm not intimidated to join this class when the opportunity arises.  I also have plans to spy on the adult learn to swim class and the swim to fit class Saturday morning this week.  PS I even swam last Saturday morning before work because Chris made a deal with me that he would clean the whole house if I went swimming.  My husband is awesome!

Today I went to the gym to try bellydance for the first time.  It was so much fun!  We did an upper body workout only by learning shoulder isolations.  The 45 minute class flew by and I made a new gym friend.  I'm meeting her for yoga tomorrow before my member connect session to learn the Y's gym equipment.  I'm definitely going to attend this class until my work schedule changes at the end of November.

After bellydance I felt like I needed to burn more calories or at least feel like I had worked out by leaving dripping with sweat.  I got on the treadmill and started running with my normal routine.  I was getting winded fairly quickly so I took my trainer's advice from a year ago and my husband's constant advice and actually dropped my speed.  I haven't wanted to do that because I already run slow and felt like dropping my pace would be awkward - that inbetween walking fast and jogging pace that seems so disjointed.  But, I dropped my speed a bit and got into the rhythm to keep a steady pace that had me jogging.  I went for a whole 5 minutes before returning to a walk!!!  That's 3 minutes longer than I've done before!!!  It actually felt like I was running...kind of.  Plus it was rewarding to be in a jogging gait on the treadmill while the skinny blond girl next to me was walking fast while holding onto the treadmill.  I felt like I was showing her up.  All in all I walked 45 seconds, jogged 5 minutes, walked 1 minute, jogged 2 minutes, walked 1 minute, jogged 1 minute, walked 1 minute, jogged 2 minutes, walked 1 minute 15 seconds for a total of 15 minutes bang on to go 1 mile.  Longer than my usual time, but so much more rewarding.  I then walked for a few minutes until my heart rate dropped back down instead of my usual jump right off the treadmill, down some water, and drive home routine.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment