Monday, October 8, 2012

FMM: Around Your House

 Visit All the Weigh to post the link to your response and be sure to swing by my husband's blog Wisdom, Courage, Power to check out how our answers about our house differ (and they do differ).

Inside Your Home


1. Do you live in an apartment/condo, townhouse or house?
I live in a house.  We bought Chris' grandma's bungalow and we rent out our basement to a male nursing student who is the best tennant ever!  So I guess technically I live in half a house.  But it is the first house that I signed my name to a mortgage for so that makes it mine...all mine...and my husband's.  :)

2. What is your home’s coolest feature?
The nook under the basement stairs has been turned into a fully lined cedar closet which is pretty neat.  We also have a fire place complete with chimney attached to the back of our house to cook with or enjoy on the back patio - I haven't seen that before.  It certainly is not the orange shag carpet in the guest/music room nor is it the blue sink, tub, and tile in the main bathroom.

3. Do you enjoy DIY projects?
I love DIY projects.  Chris may not know that about me as I don't have the time to dedicate to them very often.  But, at some point I would love to have a woodshop in the garage and a sewing machine in my guest room.  His dad keeps bringing us tools and has no idea that I can't wait to get my hands on them.  For now, I settle for my current knitting project.  The only thing I don't like about DIY projects is they often cost as much or more than buying the item outright.

4. When using the dishwasher do you use powder detergent or liquid?
We use liquid because Chris likes it and he does the dishes more than me.  I grew up using powder, but don't think I have a preference.

5. Do you have a TV in your bedroom?
I can't stand having a tv in the bedroom.  I was brought up by two parents who thought that tvs were not for the bedroom and it has rubbed off on me (even though as a child I used to strain to see the living room tv all the way down the hall from my bed late at night to watch my parent's shows).  It was quite the debate when Chris and I got married, but ultimately a tv made its way into the bedroom because that was better for the tv than storing it in a basement crawlspace.  It was seldom turned on though (exception: illness or boys hockey night in the living room) because I didn't want a marriage where the tv became the focus before lights out.  We have lived in our new house for over 2 months.  The tv was placed in our bedroom again, but it has yet to be plugged in.  Late night chats in bed are awesome when you're not super sleepy.

6. Is your range gas or electric?
Our range is called a stove or an oven.  It is electric with a flat top.  I'm getting used to it because I've always had the coil burners.  I would never want a gas one.

7. How often do you sweep/mop/vacuum?
When I spill something.  Chris tends to be be the sweep/mop/vacuum -er of the house.

8. What is your favorite place to shop for home furniture and accents?
Furniture - The Brick usually
Accents - street vendors and shops where we travel

9. Do you decorate for holidays?
Only for Christmas.  Chris had one tiny box when I moved in that was just bigger than the spice wheel it held.  I came with two rubbermaid bins, a long bin, and a few small boxes of globes.  I now have way more than that.  Chris thinks it is ridiculous how much I have.  We have a bigger home now so I think I need more.  I love Christmas decorations and have been given one every year on Christmas Eve from my parents so I have 29 uniquely selected ornaments or decorative items just from that.  Plus, I'm a teacher so students give me lots too.  Decorations don't go up until after my birthday on December 12th though and stay up longer into January.

10. If you could have HGTV come in and redo one room in your home which room would you choose?
The kitchen.  I worked on the kitchen in our old house all summer and then we sold it.  I would love to rip out the cupboards, fix the ceiling, upgrade the appliances, and revamp the layout if I could have an unlimited budget.  The floors look nice though because Chris and my friend's husband put new flooring in overtop of the old 70s laminate tiles.




No comments:

Post a Comment